About the Old Girl

She was born in the summer of '69 in Ontario, Canada; titled in '70 in Maine, USA. She shares some traits of both a '69 and a '70.

My uncle is the first owner; after 35 years of pining for it I talked him out of it.

She is mostly stock; what little add-ons are mainly because I haven't found a true stock replacement. These are all interim solutions until she gets a true frame off restoration. Of course I'll document that all here. She's had a face-lift about 2004-05; lots of rust was removed and a big portion of the body replaced. Maine winters can be pretty harsh on steel.

Key bits of info:
- Engine - Buick V-6 225 cubic inch
- Transmission - Dana T-14, 3 speed
- Transfer Case - Spicer T-18
- Front Differential - Dana 27, 3.73 ratio
- Rear Differential - Dana 44, 3.73 ratio
- Wheels - 15 inch
- Winch - front mounted Ramsey MX-2000 PTO (dealer installed)
- Top - Meyer Steel top (dealer installed)
- Color - Omaha Orange

This blog is a record of what we do together and of course what I do to her to keep her in good shape...

Monday, December 21, 2015

The girl is ready to romp!

So after figuring out she needed new springs - the originals were flat and provided no "spring" at all - I got a set and got started. But it's never that easy with this bird. 

Here's a before:
Note the lower line of the tub.

Turns out 4 of the 8 spring hangers were cracked. One very badly - I was a pot hole or speed bump away from a broken spring and all that THAT could mean. 

So I found me a welder and after I sandblasted all the paint (and even more Maine mud!) we got it all aligned and he fixed her spring hangars up good as new. I replace all 4 springs, plus the shocks.  Lots of air-hammer ratchet time to remove some of those rusted nuts.  

Now I can really go to town!  4 weeks of fighting rusted nuts and bent hangers all four springs and shocks are now replaced.

After:

You should notice she sits higher. I wished I measured from the ground, but it looks to be about 5 inches based on comparing the two photos and measuring those distances.  I have to really hike myself up to get inside!  

She'll get some steps for the side to make it back to original. Now I can see why. Of course, first I have to replace the exhaust with a stock system.

With this fix she's now safe to hit trails if I wanted (none around here so I'd have to tow her to Virginia or Pennsylvania).

Next major job is the steering. But I'm going to enjoy her for the rest of the Fall. 

Thanks for looking...

No comments:

Post a Comment