About the Old Girl

She was born in the summer of '69 in Ontario, Canada; titled in '70 in Maine, USA. She shares some traits of both a '69 and a '70.

My uncle is the first owner; after 35 years of pining for it I talked him out of it.

She is mostly stock; what little add-ons are mainly because I haven't found a true stock replacement. These are all interim solutions until she gets a true frame off restoration. Of course I'll document that all here. She's had a face-lift about 2004-05; lots of rust was removed and a big portion of the body replaced. Maine winters can be pretty harsh on steel.

Key bits of info:
- Engine - Buick V-6 225 cubic inch
- Transmission - Dana T-14, 3 speed
- Transfer Case - Spicer T-18
- Front Differential - Dana 27, 3.73 ratio
- Rear Differential - Dana 44, 3.73 ratio
- Wheels - 15 inch
- Winch - front mounted Ramsey MX-2000 PTO (dealer installed)
- Top - Meyer Steel top (dealer installed)
- Color - Omaha Orange

This blog is a record of what we do together and of course what I do to her to keep her in good shape...

Monday, October 19, 2015

Can I get the door (handle), Madame?



Okay, this is a bit of character.  The Old Girl saw some action in her younger days; some bits got ripped off by branches and other things while running through the Maine woods.

Like her mirrors...the spare tire holder...the side steps...and the left door handle.  But no need to fret; it's a simple door mechanism so any door handle works:

I believe that's available from the local hardware store, typically seen on some older homes.  The handle is glass with a square steel post and certainly goes all the way through.  Hey, it works!


So I decided to go cheap and got some nice handles to replace the existing ones; the passenger side still works but is corroded; I'll replace that one when I do some restoration work on the doors and top.


Much better and now it looks natural, new, almost like it was supposed to be there.  Of course, I still cannot lock the Girl, but why should I?  It's not like I keep anything of value inside her.  The "value" is really the Girl herself.  Any anyone with a modicum of hotwire knowledge can take her.

But then again down here in Southern Maryland she's the only one of her kind...so if someone takes her they need to break her up quick, which means she won't be worth much.  So I'm not too worried and besides, she doesn't get out of my sight much.

Thanks for looking...


No comments:

Post a Comment