About the Old Girl

She was born in the summer of '69 in Ontario, Canada; titled in '70 in Maine, USA. She shares some traits of both a '69 and a '70.

My uncle is the first owner; after 35 years of pining for it I talked him out of it.

She is mostly stock; what little add-ons are mainly because I haven't found a true stock replacement. These are all interim solutions until she gets a true frame off restoration. Of course I'll document that all here. She's had a face-lift about 2004-05; lots of rust was removed and a big portion of the body replaced. Maine winters can be pretty harsh on steel.

Key bits of info:
- Engine - Buick V-6 225 cubic inch
- Transmission - Dana T-14, 3 speed
- Transfer Case - Spicer T-18
- Front Differential - Dana 27, 3.73 ratio
- Rear Differential - Dana 44, 3.73 ratio
- Wheels - 15 inch
- Winch - front mounted Ramsey MX-2000 PTO (dealer installed)
- Top - Meyer Steel top (dealer installed)
- Color - Omaha Orange

This blog is a record of what we do together and of course what I do to her to keep her in good shape...

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Old Girl is mine!


7th August, 2012


She was originally my uncle's Jeep.  He got her back in 1970 when he was quite young as something to have fun with.  She likely never went more than 50 miles from central Maine where he lives.  

She DID spent lots of time in bogs, along logging trails and generally "in the woods".  I understand a few empty beer cans have been known to rattle around behind those seats in the cargo area!


My brother and I both have connections to her but during very different times.  I've driven her a bit (maybe my Grandfather's red one more?) and so has my brother.  Seven or more years apart given we both have memories of doing that during our high school years and that's the difference in age...

The running joke between us, and the whole family participated, was which one of us would get it and how we'd determine that: arm wresting, sprints, or cards it didn't matter because in the end it came down to who had the time and inclination to treat her right.

So on the 7th of August, after we agreed I could have it and my uncle and I agreed on the price I jumped in the truck and got up to Maine before either one changed their minds!  Talk about exciting; I looked forward to the trip all the way up and then driving her when I got home.  While my uncle was quite at home jumping in and just going, I wanted a good look over her because some things about her just weren't right.  So I didn't drive her while in Maine but waited until I got her home.

That's when all the "fun" started.

Thanks for looking...


No comments:

Post a Comment